Another hit piece by the media "millions paid benefits without ever having to find a job"

It's an election year and I get it we are an easy target, an easy cost cutting measure and to the average person who sees us getting to stay at home or receive help when they have to work, its an easy rallying cry. "we'll save you money, lower your taxes and all you have to do is forget about a certain part of society who are just sponging of your money anyway".

My disability review is coming up and I have no idea how that will go, it terrifies me, knowing someone on the end of a phone is going to decide whether or not I get to continue surviving and have some ability to continue.

I did a vlog about it here. its too long, its rambling, its 2:40am because that is the time my brain said I should wake up.

Warning this may trigger some people.

[link removed by moderator]

Parents
  • My personal experience.  

I look for work, I get interviews.  I'm told at interviews that I'm unemployable, "go away".

I get a job, within a few days the employer decides that they've made a mistake taking me on and they try all sorts of ways to get rid of me.

Job centre insists that I'm 100% healthy and employable so I should make a bigger effort to find work.

Repeat.

• I'm told at interviews that I'm unemployable, "go away".

What do you say or do at the interview to get that result?

I've conducted hundreds of interviews and the only time I had that reaction was a real tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist who kept suggesting the government were behind all sorts of things (9-11, chemtrails, GM food etc) and we had to stick together and get the word out there about it.

The fact it was a civil service position indirectly working for the government may have skipped their attention, but to have someone like that on the team would lead to so much disruption that there was no way I could even consider them for the role.

• Poor guy! Must have been at the ab-initiio statge of learning.. When you ahev a bit of an idea what's going on, if you want to have money, you learn to STFU in the workplace.

Conspiracy theory 101 that is. 

If we are truly bonkers, even just thought to be so temporarily, say, during a pandemic, any sub-society tends to wall us off off socially, just as a bilo-organism tends to form a cyst aorund a potentially infectve agent, so the disruption you fear so greatly does not in fact happen.

What many people really find unaccepatble about conspiracy theory, of course, are the times when it turns out to be correct, and reveals that what you thought you knew about how the world works, is fallacious.

A fallacy you promote is the tin foil hat. Did your man really wear a tin foil hat to his interview? Or did you just select predjudicial and actually false language to describe that person? "a real tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist"

At teh end of teh day you can't give the job to eevry aplicant, you had a judgement call to make. I just hope you were as good at detecting adn weeding out the psychopaths when they appear before you, as one of those in your org. can cause real hurt and damage.

• What many people really find unaccepatble about conspiracy theory, of course, are the times when it turns out to be correct

Well to be fair to a broken clock, it is still right twice a day but I would never consider it a suitable member of the team. ;)

The tin foil hat reference was that he raised these issues in an interview when your one task is to convince the employer (ie the government) that you are a good match for the skills, the team and the company.

The fact he was trying to convince us of his theories rather than doing his one task meant he would never be taken seriously - especially as he would likely do the same once in the position and end up disrupting the team and bringing reputational harm to the department.

You can believe whatever theories you want, but as soon as you try to push them on others you start to become a problem.

I just hope you were as good at detecting adn weeding out the psychopaths when they appear before you,

Ah, you mean upper management! I actually did have a shot to get into the upper management once in the civil service but the interview process had some very odd elements and questions that I felt quite uncomfortable with and I think I lacked the willingness to sacrefice others to be suitable for the role.

For the ones I hired, they jest needed to be good little cogs in the big machine (all IT related) but once they were onboard I made sure they got plenty of mentoring to stop them encountering the sorts of issues I faced over the decades in these roles.

Looking back there were a huge number of autists in IT, especially the support side.

• What many people really find unaccepatble about conspiracy theory, of course, are the times when it turns out to be correct

Well to be fair to a broken clock, it is still right twice a day but I would never consider it a suitable member of the team. ;)

The tin foil hat reference was that he raised these issues in an interview when your one task is to convince the employer (ie the government) that you are a good match for the skills, the team and the company.

The fact he was trying to convince us of his theories rather than doing his one task meant he would never be taken seriously - especially as he would likely do the same once in the position and end up disrupting the team and bringing reputational harm to the department.

You can believe whatever theories you want, but as soon as you try to push them on others you start to become a problem.

I just hope you were as good at detecting adn weeding out the psychopaths when they appear before you,

Ah, you mean upper management! I actually did have a shot to get into the upper management once in the civil service but the interview process had some very odd elements and questions that I felt quite uncomfortable with and I think I lacked the willingness to sacrefice others to be suitable for the role.

For the ones I hired, they jest needed to be good little cogs in the big machine (all IT related) but once they were onboard I made sure they got plenty of mentoring to stop them encountering the sorts of issues I faced over the decades in these roles.

Looking back there were a huge number of autists in IT, especially the support side.

Children
No Data