Another hit piece by the media "millions paid benefits without ever having to find a job"

It's an election year and I get it we are an easy target, an easy cost cutting measure and to the average person who sees us getting to stay at home or receive help when they have to work, its an easy rallying cry. "we'll save you money, lower your taxes and all you have to do is forget about a certain part of society who are just sponging of your money anyway".

My disability review is coming up and I have no idea how that will go, it terrifies me, knowing someone on the end of a phone is going to decide whether or not I get to continue surviving and have some ability to continue.

I did a vlog about it here. its too long, its rambling, its 2:40am because that is the time my brain said I should wake up.

Warning this may trigger some people.

[link removed by moderator]

Parents
  • I empathise with the posts on this thread - as someone who has had a later in life autism diagnosis in 2021 and has still not had a post-diagnostic assessment to determine my level of autism and any appropriate support required, which should be a basic legal requirement and entitlement, we are still left in limbo, we are forced into a “one size fits all” system, like a “square peg into a round hole” trapped into situations which are totally inappropriate for most of us - it comes from a point-blank refusal of those in positions of power to understand anything about mental health issues and disability and where most of society derides any support for us as hand-holding, they believe and maintain that the only way to manage our autism is by means of ultra strict discipline at every level and in every way, even where this is perceived as abusive and a myth, a misconception - with increased numbers of adults being diagnosed with autism in later life, in the coming years with an elderly autistic population this is going to become a serious problem where most of the better autism support is focused way too much on children, both public and private - this is a situation that must change, as it is a denial of basic human rights - scientific and technological advances do not make up for the failure of attitudes to change, which need to radically change - do we really have to write begging letters to powerful people to get any kind of support? 

• I empathise with the posts on this thread - as someone who has had a later in life autism diagnosis in 2021 and has still not had a post-diagnostic assessment to determine my level of autism and any appropriate support required, which should be a basic legal requirement and entitlement, we are still left in limbo, we are forced into a “one size fits all” system, like a “square peg into a round hole” trapped into situations which are totally inappropriate for most of us - it comes from a point-blank refusal of those in positions of power to understand anything about mental health issues and disability and where most of society derides any support for us as hand-holding, they believe and maintain that the only way to manage our autism is by means of ultra strict discipline at every level and in every way, even where this is perceived as abusive and a myth, a misconception - with increased numbers of adults being diagnosed with autism in later life, in the coming years with an elderly autistic population this is going to become a serious problem where most of the better autism support is focused way too much on children, both public and private - this is a situation that must change, as it is a denial of basic human rights - scientific and technological advances do not make up for the failure of attitudes to change, which need to radically change - do we really have to write begging letters to powerful people to get any kind of support? 

Children
No Data