Road crossing /holding hand

Hi everyone,

I would like yo ask some tips and advises on how you could teach your autistic child to hold your hand when crossing the road? Do not run across and wait? My little one stops for a second, but she just does not understand the risk of road crossing and she does not want to hold our hands. Also, she just runs across without hesitation. There was a time when we carried her across and she went back, because she wanted to cross the road on her condition. 

Could you please share some good practices?

Parents
  • I am not sure how old she is, but here are some things that may help.

Being autistic it can be hard to cope with demands, so can she have an option in the decision where to cross with a couple of suitable options?

Is she helping you with talking through whether there are any vehicles coming in either direction etc? I used to talk a lot about what we were doing and what was around us. If this is a possibility can you make it part of a story? Also if she does it well make a lot of the good practice.

Also it helps if any instructions are positive rather than do not. We can....rather than don't.

Also my son had a small rucksack with a strap connected, like reins but more interesting. I think it came from a baby shop that no longer exists. That worked for a while as less restricting than a hand being held. 

I also found doing things with puppets worked to get across messages as less direct if that is something you could do.

I hope you find something that works.

• I am not sure how old she is, but here are some things that may help.

Being autistic it can be hard to cope with demands, so can she have an option in the decision where to cross with a couple of suitable options?

Is she helping you with talking through whether there are any vehicles coming in either direction etc? I used to talk a lot about what we were doing and what was around us. If this is a possibility can you make it part of a story? Also if she does it well make a lot of the good practice.

Also it helps if any instructions are positive rather than do not. We can....rather than don't.

Also my son had a small rucksack with a strap connected, like reins but more interesting. I think it came from a baby shop that no longer exists. That worked for a while as less restricting than a hand being held. 

I also found doing things with puppets worked to get across messages as less direct if that is something you could do.

I hope you find something that works.

Children
No Data