I stopped drinking alcohol

Are things better? Yes. I've lost weight, I got a stylish haircut, I comb my hair every day, have baths more regularly and use deodorant every day, have more new clothes, I shaved off an unkempt beard, I eat more freshly prepared meals, relations are less strained with my parents, I'm less depressed than I was, I have more energy to do things and enjoy hobbies I'd stopped enjoying like reading, watching TV and doing research.

However, I'm lonely. I know alcohol isn't the answer. I will no longer make excuses about how alcohol can fix things, it will not. I've joined a new National Autistic Society social group where I live and will keep going, hoping for the best. I've only been once and only two other Autistic people attended, there were two people running it as well (it's possible they were Autistic too, for all I know).

On the bright side, three women in local supermarkets I shop at have complimented me on my appearance, one of them said I looked like I've had a makeover, another said I am looking really good and she could hardly believe I was the same person. There's also a man I know who had chatted to me a few times when I was a drunk and he saw the new me and was taken aback and asked me if he could have a selfie with me.

I still have severe anxiety and struggle to demonstrate empathy for others. I'm still finding it hard to make conversation with people and it is often stilted and terse.

Two positive things, the next time I go to the GP, they can not dismiss any of my problems based on alcoholism as that will no longer be relevant, and social services had told me if I got sober they would be looking into giving me one-to-one support so that could be in the pipeline, I asked my social worker at the last meeting and he said I need to be sober for a bit longer first.

Parents
  • That's great to hear Roswell - well done you!
    It can be very difficult when you get in a rut and start believing that alcohol is helping you. But it is the exact opposite.

Several years ago I was drinking far too much, but managed to pull myself together and cut down.
    I am now at the point where I drink much less and not as frequent - usually a couple of cans on a Friday night, whereas before I was drinking 3-4 (or more) every night.

The feeling of being in control of your drinking is a massive positive.

• Thank you. Myself, even one drink is a potential slippery slope but if you can enjoy it in moderation, I salute you.

• one is too many, a thousand's ot enough.

Reply Children
No Data