How to calm frustration and anger down?

Hi! Ive noticed and my family members have noticed that I’m quite a hothead when it comes to simple things. 
For instance while I’m cycling to work I could get frustrated at the fact the wind is blowing in my direction. 

I also use curse words quite a bit I stop myself from swearing when In front of children or I mouth it but don’t say it aloud. 

please help I want to stop getting angry and frustrated as I don’t wanna lose relationships because of it. 

I've started doing mindfulness at night like writing how my day went and how I feel but I need other suggestions.

Parents
  • Hi Harry, this a real problem for me at the moment, especially when I'm on the roads. Does your anger ever turn into something physical - like behaving in an untypical or erratic way?

I have tried self-help books in the past which follow a CBT type model but now I know that CBT isn't great for me. Writing things down sounds good though, same as talking it through with someone.

• Sometimes physical like throwing something at the wall or punching my chair or pillow(s) and yeah I talk with my mother after it and explain how I feel 

Reply Children
  • Another thing you could try, watch some ranty, angry comedians, like older Rhod Gilbert stuff and imagine how you'd put what your feeling into a standup routine, you never know you might end up with a new career?

• It sounds like you are doing well and quite self-aware. 

In dog training there is a thing called Trigger Stacking.

If you experience lots of stressful events in the day then it can build up and make you over-react to a small thing. If you recognise when this is happening within yourself then it's possible to stop it in time before you blow your top!