Son takes so long in bathroom at bedtime, often an hour or more and impacts relationships

Our son doesn’t seem to have a sense of urgency, unless it relates to something he is wanting to do. Each evening, at bedtime he will go to the loo and brush his teeth, but almost every night, he will be in there for an hour or more, even with constant reminders to hurry (only 1 bathroom for 3 or 4 people). Do other people find this is true with their autistic children? It causes a lot of upset in the family and impacts the relationships between son and parents. This can also occur just as a meal is being served (disappears to bathroom), or when we have an appointment… If someone else is desperate for the bathroom, it can still take 20 mins of chasing… Please help! Thank you

Parents
  • I have a habit of 'zoning out' while I get ready for bed especially if I'm tired and relaxed. That might be why. He probably won't like it but you could ask him to keep the door open while he cleans his teeth? Also check that he isn't doing something there though. (e.g. skin picking, excessive handwashing, excessive teeth brushing etc.)

• I have a habit of 'zoning out' while I get ready for bed especially if I'm tired and relaxed. That might be why. He probably won't like it but you could ask him to keep the door open while he cleans his teeth? Also check that he isn't doing something there though. (e.g. skin picking, excessive handwashing, excessive teeth brushing etc.)

Children
No Data