My lack of understanding jokes

I don't understand jokes, and if I understand that something is a joke, I don't understand the context.

• I'm like this as well. I find it hard to get jokes and if i'm in a group like my family or others it can be confusing and it can even disturb my senses if i find it vile and it give me the shivers etc. I'm very sensitive as well.

• Definitely, an Irish colleague (I liked his sense of humour generally) at work nearly 20 years ago told me one day 'Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana' and enjoyed seeing me confused about it for the rest of the day (I was trying to understand why fruit would fly through the air like a banana?!) Upside down

• Yeah, silly wordplay like that is my bag, although it's not always easy to judge if people will get it!

• I used to struggle with jokes because at school, I used to be surrounded by people who would just flat-out lie (or be horrible) and say that they're joking.

Me similarly sadly Upside down I was in an Italian deli restaurant yesterday and shared this with some weekend staff and it went ok  

'I once worked at a pizza parlor to get by. I needed the dough' Slight smile

• I used to struggle with jokes because at school, I used to be surrounded by people who would just flat-out lie (or be horrible) and say that they're joking.

Since I was 15 though, comedy has been almost my whole life. I use humour a lot when talking to people, I watch comedy etc.

Sometimes I try too hard to be funny though. It becomes something I do to mask nerves/impress someone and it can be excruciating when I'm not gelling with the other person, although at the same time I have made jokes that, although not ill-intentioned, I can see why they offended people.

Having a similar sense of humour is kind of a deal breaker for me - it's hard to imagine being surrounded by someone who I can't comfortably interact with.

• You could do some research on the nature of jokes and humour - there is plenty on the internet that will explain this to you so you can identify when it is a joke and can try to connect with the humour.

It may be you are like Sheldon Cooper who has to really work at it but with a solid understanding of the mechanics you are off to a good start,

I would start with something like https://www.scienceofpeople.com/sense-of-humor/

After that, get searching for other stuff (YouTube is a good source) and educate yourself.