Online and real life connections: are they equal/unequal in value or just different?

What is the difference between 'knowing' in real life and 'knowing' online? 

Do they both count as much as each other, these 2 very different types of connection?

I've read on here a post which I felt devalued  the connections we have here.

I find them rather valuable.

I think my in person life connections are more 'corporeal' but they are also more problematic and draining of my limited resources.

They also tend to be with allistics.

What do you think?

Parents
  • I have told you all things I could never tell people in “real life”. It’s cathartic to talk about such things even if it is “only” online and helpful to know that others understand or have the same experience of life.

I haven’t found any way to meet other autistic people in real life either but forums like this make it possible.

Perhaps this community knows the real me better than anyone I know in real life.

But there is something about spending time in the physical presence of another person and of doing shared activities with them. 

• Thinking some more about this.

I went to an after work event, briefly, recently. When I was going to leave, one of my colleagues, one of the few I have told I’m autistic, went to hug me, stopped and put her arm on my shoulder and just gave me a look that said she was trying very hard to do the right thing, respect my boundaries but still be friendly, even if she didn’t quite know how.

That small gesture was priceless to me. I suppose that could only happen in real life. Although I have seen some amazing kindness and care on here.

• Although I have seen some amazing kindness and care on here.

It was partly your thread: 'Everyone I know...' that inspired this thread actually as, when you posted it, I thought 'we are still here and care' but I didn't say as I didn't want to sound trite and as though I was undervaluing your desire/need for in person relationships/friendships.

• That's how I like all my music!

• I hope I didn’t offend you or anyone else. The thought of my friend leaving just makes me feel sick.

You didn't offend me.

I'm so sorry re your friend.

I do feel though that if you meet more people things might change.

However, I'm fearful of sounding like an old record on repeat! Blush

Reply Children