Newly diagnosed adult now feeling lost

I am a 39 year old Male, newly diagnosed and struggling with the official diagnosis and looking for support and to sharing stories with others. 

I have long thought that I was autistic and have after years of waiting, had a a formal diagnosis, but this has turned up all manner of feelings which I didn't expect.

I always thought this would bring validation, but now I feel lost and like I have wronged everyone and should be apologizing to everyone. I also don't want to disclose to anyone, but the only thing I can think of during every conversation is that I have autism and to tell the person. 

I have a job and a wife and have read so many things in this last weeks, but I am struggling with being my old self, let alone unmasking.

Does anyone have advice as to how they have managed after a diagnosis and disclosure to people.

I'm most anxious about disclosures to work and controlling who knows. 

I don't want an excuse, or people talking about it, pointing it out, pandering to me or giving sympathy, asking me to take a break, any of it. 

Parents
  • I am 14 months into to my diagnosis. I’m ok with it and tell who I need to. All my good friends and family have been v supportive. The ones who aren’t either need time or were never good friends.

Work has been a roller coaster, I have had difficulty getting reasonable adjustments implements as one day I wasn’t and the next day I was. Although I had informed them  I was going through diagnosis. I just don’t think they believed me!  But I had had a few difficulties over the years and it was getting harder to mask the traits. It’s all being worked through and I’m am confident it will get sorted.

There is still so much ignorance around about austism especially with women. The more people who do tell others the better it is for the community. 

I now run an Adult Autism Group in Bristol for talk through things. You are other are welcome 

• I am 14 months into to my diagnosis. I’m ok with it and tell who I need to. All my good friends and family have been v supportive. The ones who aren’t either need time or were never good friends.

Work has been a roller coaster, I have had difficulty getting reasonable adjustments implements as one day I wasn’t and the next day I was. Although I had informed them  I was going through diagnosis. I just don’t think they believed me!  But I had had a few difficulties over the years and it was getting harder to mask the traits. It’s all being worked through and I’m am confident it will get sorted.

There is still so much ignorance around about austism especially with women. The more people who do tell others the better it is for the community. 

I now run an Adult Autism Group in Bristol for talk through things. You are other are welcome 

Children
No Data