Newly diagnosed adult now feeling lost

I am a 39 year old Male, newly diagnosed and struggling with the official diagnosis and looking for support and to sharing stories with others. 

I have long thought that I was autistic and have after years of waiting, had a a formal diagnosis, but this has turned up all manner of feelings which I didn't expect.

I always thought this would bring validation, but now I feel lost and like I have wronged everyone and should be apologizing to everyone. I also don't want to disclose to anyone, but the only thing I can think of during every conversation is that I have autism and to tell the person. 

I have a job and a wife and have read so many things in this last weeks, but I am struggling with being my old self, let alone unmasking.

Does anyone have advice as to how they have managed after a diagnosis and disclosure to people.

I'm most anxious about disclosures to work and controlling who knows. 

I don't want an excuse, or people talking about it, pointing it out, pandering to me or giving sympathy, asking me to take a break, any of it. 

Parents
  • Hey Lee

I am undiagnosed but I’ve been around plenty long enough to know I’m massively different to the Nt community. My son is autistic and he is a carbon copy of myself. I think making people aware of your neurodivergence is an incredibly brave thing to do personally. As well as that I think total acceptance will only come with us spreading the word and educating the typical population. I have had some time to process my life and I’m 49 now so had a bit to go at, this firstly caused me to grieve and then I was stuck in such a dark place I couldn’t figure out what to do. I have been on here since and can only say it’s been a lifeline for me to be able to connect with the community here. 
    I have bad day/weeks but I also have ok days and have dedicated a lot of my time researching neurodivergence and have become obsessed. I’m starting my journey for an assessment but I already know the answer, I just need to uncover who I am. 
    I would say take it slow and be proud of who you are, I mean who can say they have given 39 years of their life to fit into society. 
    Try and read Untypical by Pete Wharmby, I have the audible version and it’s narrated by Pete himself. It’s very informative and easy to take in, I connected with him so much. I now watch all his stuff on YouTube as well. 
    I hope you find your answers soon. 

• Hey Lee

I am undiagnosed but I’ve been around plenty long enough to know I’m massively different to the Nt community. My son is autistic and he is a carbon copy of myself. I think making people aware of your neurodivergence is an incredibly brave thing to do personally. As well as that I think total acceptance will only come with us spreading the word and educating the typical population. I have had some time to process my life and I’m 49 now so had a bit to go at, this firstly caused me to grieve and then I was stuck in such a dark place I couldn’t figure out what to do. I have been on here since and can only say it’s been a lifeline for me to be able to connect with the community here. 
    I have bad day/weeks but I also have ok days and have dedicated a lot of my time researching neurodivergence and have become obsessed. I’m starting my journey for an assessment but I already know the answer, I just need to uncover who I am. 
    I would say take it slow and be proud of who you are, I mean who can say they have given 39 years of their life to fit into society. 
    Try and read Untypical by Pete Wharmby, I have the audible version and it’s narrated by Pete himself. It’s very informative and easy to take in, I connected with him so much. I now watch all his stuff on YouTube as well. 
    I hope you find your answers soon. 

Children
No Data