Newly diagnosed adult now feeling lost

I am a 39 year old Male, newly diagnosed and struggling with the official diagnosis and looking for support and to sharing stories with others. 

I have long thought that I was autistic and have after years of waiting, had a a formal diagnosis, but this has turned up all manner of feelings which I didn't expect.

I always thought this would bring validation, but now I feel lost and like I have wronged everyone and should be apologizing to everyone. I also don't want to disclose to anyone, but the only thing I can think of during every conversation is that I have autism and to tell the person. 

I have a job and a wife and have read so many things in this last weeks, but I am struggling with being my old self, let alone unmasking.

Does anyone have advice as to how they have managed after a diagnosis and disclosure to people.

I'm most anxious about disclosures to work and controlling who knows. 

I don't want an excuse, or people talking about it, pointing it out, pandering to me or giving sympathy, asking me to take a break, any of it. 

Parents
  • I feel the same I am a 42 year old female I got my diagnosis in January 2024.

I was happy when I got it but that happy feeling soon change to sadness and anxiety and not knowing who I am and where I fit in the world

I told my boss at work and I wish I hadn't as the look I got was not nice.

Is this normal and do other people feel the same after diagnosis?

• Post diagnosis is quite the rollercoaster.  Relief that you can forgive some of the ;issues' that caused you to think poorly of yourself, happiness that you found the real you, grief for the life that was stolen from you, anxiety for the difficulties in you life that are now blatanely obvious and ever present, and maybe sadness that people are not able to deal with the real you. ... I could go on.  

I hope yu are doing OK. please give it time, and if you can find therapy or a group, please do. ... or try and find someone on here who you can feel comfortable discussing things with ...

• Post diagnosis is quite the rollercoaster.  Relief that you can forgive some of the ;issues' that caused you to think poorly of yourself, happiness that you found the real you, grief for the life that was stolen from you, anxiety for the difficulties in you life that are now blatanely obvious and ever present, and maybe sadness that people are not able to deal with the real you. ... I could go on.  

I hope yu are doing OK. please give it time, and if you can find therapy or a group, please do. ... or try and find someone on here who you can feel comfortable discussing things with ...

Children
No Data