Struggling to get and maintain employment

I have over 10 year’s worth of administrative experience behind me, but I am struggling to get jobs and maintain them, not because I struggle with the work but because I struggle being around people for hours and hours at a time. I was getting through interviews before much better than I am now even with the struggles. But now I am not even getting the interviews so I am out of experience with them. I am 38, and have not had very many stable jobs, only temporary work in the last few years. I would love a hybrid role where I can spend some days at home and some days in an office. I only recently got diagnosed in the past 2 months.

What has your experience with employment been like?

Parents
  • My experience of work is minimal but also horrifying lol. 

Getting a job has always been really difficult and stressful for me. In the past interviews were one of the most stressful things I've ever had to do...I usually passed out and had meltdowns or shutdown. My brain would freeze when I got asked simple questions like "Tell me about yourself?" 

Absolute nightmare!

Interview questions always throw me! In all the interviews I've ever been to I only got one job which was a customer assistant at Morrison's. I passed out in that interview as well but I think they were desperate lol.

I lasted three days in that job. The environment was busy and noisy. I couldn't focus, I couldn't function. On my last day I had a huge meltdown it was terrible and I haven't been able to get another job since. Not even part time.

Since my mum died it's been even worse. But I'm determined to get it right in the end.

The working world is a bad place for a lot of autistic people. I feel like I'm not equipped for that side of life.

• My experience of work is minimal but also horrifying lol. 

Getting a job has always been really difficult and stressful for me. In the past interviews were one of the most stressful things I've ever had to do...I usually passed out and had meltdowns or shutdown. My brain would freeze when I got asked simple questions like "Tell me about yourself?" 

Absolute nightmare!

Interview questions always throw me! In all the interviews I've ever been to I only got one job which was a customer assistant at Morrison's. I passed out in that interview as well but I think they were desperate lol.

I lasted three days in that job. The environment was busy and noisy. I couldn't focus, I couldn't function. On my last day I had a huge meltdown it was terrible and I haven't been able to get another job since. Not even part time.

Since my mum died it's been even worse. But I'm determined to get it right in the end.

The working world is a bad place for a lot of autistic people. I feel like I'm not equipped for that side of life.

Children
No Data