How did you make your peace with this life?

Being separate, other, misunderstood, invisible. How can you bear it?

Parents
  • Focusing on my own priorities. 

So choosing what I find interesting and fun, and concentrating on that. If I need to do difficult things to get to that, that is then easier than doing difficult things for what other people think is necessary.

I accidentally mostly made friends with autistic people growing up, that helped the being alone, but the general people around me still knew I was different, long before I had a diagnosis. I gradually understood that there are very few people in the world whose opinion on me actually had consequence, and the rest could be ignored. Once I had a label it made it much easier, many people will at least a little bit understand 'I'm autistic' or at least accept it as a partial explanation for why my body language and tone is off. 

And then when things were tough I just took it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time, in really bad bits 10 mins at a time. And just did whatever I needed to to get through that time, because it may never be perfect, but it's not at the bottom for all eternity.

• Focusing on my own priorities. 

So choosing what I find interesting and fun, and concentrating on that. If I need to do difficult things to get to that, that is then easier than doing difficult things for what other people think is necessary.

I accidentally mostly made friends with autistic people growing up, that helped the being alone, but the general people around me still knew I was different, long before I had a diagnosis. I gradually understood that there are very few people in the world whose opinion on me actually had consequence, and the rest could be ignored. Once I had a label it made it much easier, many people will at least a little bit understand 'I'm autistic' or at least accept it as a partial explanation for why my body language and tone is off. 

And then when things were tough I just took it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time, in really bad bits 10 mins at a time. And just did whatever I needed to to get through that time, because it may never be perfect, but it's not at the bottom for all eternity.

Children
No Data