Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Many GP are uninterested in, and quite misinformed about mental health. You just met one of them. 

It seems like there are two opposite schools of thought: some people believe that all ASD are people that cannot leave their house, take a shower, or keep a job. Some people think that every ASD is a Maths or Computer Science genius with several PhDs. Both ideas are false.

• Thank you for your reply. This is all very new for me and it seems that in one month I have learned more about autism than someone with a medical degree!

• Lol, there is a lot of misinformation around. I cannot blame GP for not being informed, they already have too much to study and keep up to date with.

However, the misinformation is a problem. Prepare yourself to hear "you do not look autistic" a lot. Some people will be perplexed because they will assume that you would be a drooling idiot. Some other will be perplexed because they will assume  that you will be Tony Stark. Be prepared.

• Aren't a lot of private diagnoses undertaken by psychologists? Even so, a GP should not have a problem with a diagnosis from a chartered clinical psychologist.

The problem is that many GPs who completed their training several years ago might not be up to date with changes, e.g. the revision to DSM5-TR. GPs are required to complete annual update training, but this must cover all the clinical areas, so they might choose other areas for their CPD.

• Aren't a lot of private diagnoses undertaken by psychologists? Even so, a GP should not have a problem with a diagnosis from a chartered clinical psychologist.

The problem is that many GPs who completed their training several years ago might not be up to date with changes, e.g. the revision to DSM5-TR. GPs are required to complete annual update training, but this must cover all the clinical areas, so they might choose other areas for their CPD.

Children
No Data