Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Another GP stuck in the dark ages, she missed off that you don’t look autistic! 
    I’m fifty six and worked my whole life, I’ve been married for 33 years and have two adult sons. I  don’t fit the stereotypical view of autism. What the outside world never saw was that everyday was a struggle, some still are. 
    The not believing by others was what pushed me to get referred for an assessment. Sorry your GP is so blinkered, I hope your assessment brings you answers.

• Thanks so much for your kind reply. I wish I had said that despite holding down a job and a marriage, both are very difficult for me on a daily basis (hence being signed off!!) hindsight is a wonderful thing!

• And herein lies the problem - autism is a difference in communication. Which can cause us problems before we have even begun.

Reply Children
No Data