Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • My job, among other things, has significantly contributed to burnout. I'm thankful to be in a relationship to get the support that I need in my day to day life. I would struggle immensely if I did not have that support. For physical medical problems it's often "ruling things out" to get the answer. The fact they think you can't be autistic doesn't mean one shouldn't be put forward for assessment. An assessment is to find out just that - to get an answer. If you are going down the private route, you will know for yourself, which is the most important thing.

• Thanks for your reply. I have opted to go private for an assessment as I’m not keen to wait for an NHS one and as I live in Scotland right to choose isn’t available. Helpfully another GP at the practice who was very kind wrote me a letter giving my health insurance the go ahead for the assessment.

• Thanks for your reply. I have opted to go private for an assessment as I’m not keen to wait for an NHS one and as I live in Scotland right to choose isn’t available. Helpfully another GP at the practice who was very kind wrote me a letter giving my health insurance the go ahead for the assessment.

Children
No Data