Puzzling GP conversation…

I (37f) went to see my GP today for a sick line. I am struggling with the demands of work at the moment. I am currently undertaking a private assessment for ASD after years of social difficulties and mental health issues. I asked the Dr while I was there if she would accept a private diagnosis. The (short) conversation ended in her saying if I had held down a job and a relationship I was not autistic. 

This has absolutely baffled me and seems a bit short sighted! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Parents
  • Many GP are uninterested in, and quite misinformed about mental health. You just met one of them. 

It seems like there are two opposite schools of thought: some people believe that all ASD are people that cannot leave their house, take a shower, or keep a job. Some people think that every ASD is a Maths or Computer Science genius with several PhDs. Both ideas are false.

• Thank you for your reply. This is all very new for me and it seems that in one month I have learned more about autism than someone with a medical degree!

• Lol, there is a lot of misinformation around. I cannot blame GP for not being informed, they already have too much to study and keep up to date with.

However, the misinformation is a problem. Prepare yourself to hear "you do not look autistic" a lot. Some people will be perplexed because they will assume that you would be a drooling idiot. Some other will be perplexed because they will assume  that you will be Tony Stark. Be prepared.

• Lol, there is a lot of misinformation around. I cannot blame GP for not being informed, they already have too much to study and keep up to date with.

However, the misinformation is a problem. Prepare yourself to hear "you do not look autistic" a lot. Some people will be perplexed because they will assume that you would be a drooling idiot. Some other will be perplexed because they will assume  that you will be Tony Stark. Be prepared.

Children
  • Aren't a lot of private diagnoses undertaken by psychologists? Even so, a GP should not have a problem with a diagnosis from a chartered clinical psychologist.

The problem is that many GPs who completed their training several years ago might not be up to date with changes, e.g. the revision to DSM5-TR. GPs are required to complete annual update training, but this must cover all the clinical areas, so they might choose other areas for their CPD.

• Sorry mate, I am not very academic. You know what I mean, as long as you show a piece of paper signed by a psychiatrist nobody will question or bother you. 

• MDs are often 'higher doctorates' in the UK, unlike in the US where an MD is the basic medical qualification required to practise medicine. In the UK the basic qualification is MBChB (or equivalent) i.e. Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.

• Not at all. As soon as you have a diagnosis signed by a reputable psychiatrist with a MD degree, GPs and workplace assessors will just shut up. No one of them will openly challenge  another MD. This is why I waited to get my assessment from PsychiatryUK before asking for workplace adjustments.

• Absolutely, I understand that not all medical professionals can be 100% informed on every medical issue, still a bit of a disappointing statement to hear after a two minute conversation!

I had a hunch that there will be a lot of this should I get a diagnosis!