Learning to unmask

Hi I recently found out I was autistic after many years of masking throughout school not realising that this was the reason I never felt as though I fit in with my friend group. It was easier for me to mask back then as I was doing it subconsciously but now that I am more aware of my brain it is harder for me to mask in the same way. I know I should stop masking but I just don’t see how I can do it because I’ve never known anything else, it’s like I can’t control it because I think if I start being myself people won’t like me. If anyone has any advice on ways they started unmasking around people and their experience with it then that would be great thanks.

Parents
  • Hi, very randomly stumbled upon your post wandering in this forum and I just wanted to thank you for expressing exactly how I feel...  I wouldnt put it better myself - I am doing it subconsciously to the point that I dont know whats real me and whats not anymore. Its quite annoying actually that its out of my control. I know that i behave in one way with the people I like and in another way with the people I am neutral or not super comfortable around, however I cannot "choose" the way I behave - it really depend on the person I am with. So I feel you :)

• Hi, very randomly stumbled upon your post wandering in this forum and I just wanted to thank you for expressing exactly how I feel...  I wouldnt put it better myself - I am doing it subconsciously to the point that I dont know whats real me and whats not anymore. Its quite annoying actually that its out of my control. I know that i behave in one way with the people I like and in another way with the people I am neutral or not super comfortable around, however I cannot "choose" the way I behave - it really depend on the person I am with. So I feel you :)

Children
No Data