Learning to unmask

Hi I recently found out I was autistic after many years of masking throughout school not realising that this was the reason I never felt as though I fit in with my friend group. It was easier for me to mask back then as I was doing it subconsciously but now that I am more aware of my brain it is harder for me to mask in the same way. I know I should stop masking but I just don’t see how I can do it because I’ve never known anything else, it’s like I can’t control it because I think if I start being myself people won’t like me. If anyone has any advice on ways they started unmasking around people and their experience with it then that would be great thanks.

Parents
  • Hi

Unmasking has not come to me yet as I feel I need a diagnosis before I feel that I can look into that process. I too don’t have a clue how to start and feel at the moment that I don’t really have an identity.  But one thing I have definitely started to do in public is the complete opposite to what I used to do…… instead of being over friendly and talking to anyone I don’t bother anymore, it has even got to the stage that if I do it without realising I give myself a good telling off. It’s something I have always felt that I have had to do to fit in but now unless it’s someone who I genuinely think will benefit from me approaching them (as in people who are usually overlooked by the general population) I just can’t be bothered. 

• Hi

Unmasking has not come to me yet as I feel I need a diagnosis before I feel that I can look into that process. I too don’t have a clue how to start and feel at the moment that I don’t really have an identity.  But one thing I have definitely started to do in public is the complete opposite to what I used to do…… instead of being over friendly and talking to anyone I don’t bother anymore, it has even got to the stage that if I do it without realising I give myself a good telling off. It’s something I have always felt that I have had to do to fit in but now unless it’s someone who I genuinely think will benefit from me approaching them (as in people who are usually overlooked by the general population) I just can’t be bothered. 

Children