I just want a diagnosis

I have now been trying for close to 2 years to get a diagnosis of being on the spectrum. I spoke to a Dr for referral over the phone and was declined the assessment process for lack of evidence. I wasn’t surprised since the call with the Dr lasted about 3 minutes. I followed this up with my GP and he tried to palm me off with recommending speaking to a psychologist about my anxiety issues because he “doubted it was Autism because you have very good eye contact”. Even those he was condescending I pushed for a referral and got one. Eventually the Adult Autism Team got in contact to fill out a pre screening assessment (which I don’t feel was very in depth) and I have now been declined to progress any further despite me having a plethora of issues. I’m really starting to feel extremely low and frustrated I’m not being heard. It’s a lot to deal with right now as I’ve just lost my father on Christmas Eve. Is there anywhere I can appeal their decision? Or is there anyone I can turn to to try get a diagnosis because I really struggle work wise and holding down a job and for the last few years have became a full time parent/houseperson instead as my partner understands my struggles with working. 

I have 3 siblings who are all diagnosed with ASD. And I myself have been diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyspraxia at age 19. I am now 30 and struggling more internally than I ever have. My 7yo daughter has traits of possible ASD and ADHD. And my 3yo daughter is ongoing for the ASD assessment just now. 

Parents
  • My partner is going through the same thing.

She asked for a diagnosis 10 years ago. Told she was too old. She was 40.

Then asked again before covid. Waited 4 years to see a psychiatrist. Denied a diagnosis because she made eye contact.

Now the government are blocking referrals because of some bureaucratic crap.

Private diagnosis costs over £2000.

So. Up the creek without the paddle.

System is fooked.

• Shockingly, eye contact is taken as a yes/no indicator of autistic status by far too many misinformed and, yes, stupid clinicians.

I think private assessments can be around £900, mine was.

Reply Children