Trying Food

Hello,

For the entirety of my life, I have had a very limited diet because of my senses (especially smell and taste) being so sensitive. It's always been hard for me to try new foods and I really want to now that I'm in my 20's. This has gotten so bad that food as a whole just makes me anxious. 

I want to know whether anyone has advice on sensitive senses and trying new foods or any good starter foods to try?

Thank you!

Parents
  •     This has been the case for myself all my life as well. I'm now close to 70 and these are my strategies.

First and foremost build up one's beneficial gut bacteria.This is easy to do with probiotics, live yogurt without additives (like sugar), cider vinegar and the like. These are called the "live" foods.

Next to do is to get a comprehensive allergen test. The test was the most helpful for me in my whole life as I could delete many items at once that I could only guess at before as being the cause of distress.

I also have heightened smell and taste and "ick" factor. For me it is: "will this make me sick if I eat it. Does it look right?" I have a battery of allergies and sometimes I eat the wrong thing and pay. so I tend to stay with a few food/restaurants/stores/processed foods I know are clean and won't make me sick.This has been through trial and error.

I don't know if you eat meat. I can't speak to it's benefits. I am allergic to beef and pork and don't want to eat animals at all anyway. Staying away from meat is a cleaner diet overall, for me.

I would break how I do it down to these three groups: eat one from each at every meal.

1. starch, 2. fresh veggies and fruit, not canned 3. vegetable based proteins.

experiment with this.

add a few you already know are ok, like, say, brown rice. try a new kind of starch every week or two. If you have a bad reaction scratch it off. I had to scratch wheat off, for example.

Try this with the other food groups, one new thing every week or so, depending on if the last thing you ate got you sick and you need time to recover.

Learn to cook a stable of simple meals you can mix and match from.

Here are some of mine, for example.

rice/ steamed peas/Beyond burger

baked or boiled potato/ salad/ 2 soft boiled eggs (unfertilized).

quinoa/steamed spinach/baked falafel balls/

oat bread toast with peanut butter/papaya/

A few certain things 

• processed foods are the most unreliable, the most pernicious.

•reading ingredients on labels is essential.

•fresh foods are the most nutritious.

•one needs to ask, in restaurants, about ingredients and whether the food was fresh prepared or canned or from frozen. ask to have things not included or replaced. Like no onions on the salad. Dressing on the SIDE, please. One must demand and send back items delivered not to one's specifications. [Be a generous tipper to kind servers going out of their comfort zones for you to deal with grumpy cooks. eye rolling servers.. not so much.]

•heating to the proper temp is essential.

•buffets in health food stores are good places to experiment and to ask questions.

•sugar is poison.

•fried foods are poison.

•sips of warm lemon water with a meal soothes the esophagus and aids digestion.

•cooking for oneself is a joy.

•     This has been the case for myself all my life as well. I'm now close to 70 and these are my strategies.

First and foremost build up one's beneficial gut bacteria.This is easy to do with probiotics, live yogurt without additives (like sugar), cider vinegar and the like. These are called the "live" foods.

Next to do is to get a comprehensive allergen test. The test was the most helpful for me in my whole life as I could delete many items at once that I could only guess at before as being the cause of distress.

I also have heightened smell and taste and "ick" factor. For me it is: "will this make me sick if I eat it. Does it look right?" I have a battery of allergies and sometimes I eat the wrong thing and pay. so I tend to stay with a few food/restaurants/stores/processed foods I know are clean and won't make me sick.This has been through trial and error.

I don't know if you eat meat. I can't speak to it's benefits. I am allergic to beef and pork and don't want to eat animals at all anyway. Staying away from meat is a cleaner diet overall, for me.

I would break how I do it down to these three groups: eat one from each at every meal.

1. starch, 2. fresh veggies and fruit, not canned 3. vegetable based proteins.

experiment with this.

add a few you already know are ok, like, say, brown rice. try a new kind of starch every week or two. If you have a bad reaction scratch it off. I had to scratch wheat off, for example.

Try this with the other food groups, one new thing every week or so, depending on if the last thing you ate got you sick and you need time to recover.

Learn to cook a stable of simple meals you can mix and match from.

Here are some of mine, for example.

rice/ steamed peas/Beyond burger

baked or boiled potato/ salad/ 2 soft boiled eggs (unfertilized).

quinoa/steamed spinach/baked falafel balls/

oat bread toast with peanut butter/papaya/

A few certain things 

• processed foods are the most unreliable, the most pernicious.

•reading ingredients on labels is essential.

•fresh foods are the most nutritious.

•one needs to ask, in restaurants, about ingredients and whether the food was fresh prepared or canned or from frozen. ask to have things not included or replaced. Like no onions on the salad. Dressing on the SIDE, please. One must demand and send back items delivered not to one's specifications. [Be a generous tipper to kind servers going out of their comfort zones for you to deal with grumpy cooks. eye rolling servers.. not so much.]

•heating to the proper temp is essential.

•buffets in health food stores are good places to experiment and to ask questions.

•sugar is poison.

•fried foods are poison.

•sips of warm lemon water with a meal soothes the esophagus and aids digestion.

•cooking for oneself is a joy.

Children