Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

• I've considered being a personal assistant for myself as a lot of that is typing and I have a very fast wpm. I'm not sure I would cope with the workload and pressure though - but it's something I consider doing.

I've worked in a library, organising the books, directing people to the right sections for the right books, and I loved it! 

• I have a job where I'm pretty much left to my own devices and this autonomy suits me well. I'm not expected to multi task. I work with fairly understanding and open minded people who have a direct communication style and am able to stay out of "office politics". I value all this over pay but realise I'm one of the lucky ones in this respect. The job has contributed to the burnt out position I'm in. It it's a job most people find difficult anyway but is very rewarding. I would also like to counter the "find a job working on your own" idea - this may suit some people but not me. I need that interaction but it comes from the "customer / client" aspect rather than working directly with colleagues. I've looked before for library jobs - yes this seems an ideal job for a lot of autistic people but they are few and far between - around here anyway. So to anyone reading this I'm saying - I don't think there is an ideal job but consider what your values are as well as your skill set and interest.

• Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults?

It will very much depend on the autistic traits you have and how severe they are, but I put together a list as part of a "how to find a job" article that I have in progress:

administrative assistant
    analyst
    bus driver
    chemist
    claims processor
    college professor
    computer programmer
    consultant
    creative writer
    customer service representative
    data entry clerk
    editor
    electrician
    engineer
    fine artist
    gardener
    geographic information system (GIS) technician
    graphic artist
    grocery bagger
    laboratory technician
    lawyer
    librarian
    meteorologist
    nurse
    paralegal
    personal assistant
    physician
    physicist
    political canvasser
    production manager
    records manager
    reporter
    retail sales associate
    sales manager
    screenwriter
    sound technician
    supply chain manager
    teacher (adult education)
    teacher (early childhood)
    technical documentation writer
    veterinarian
    warehouse worker
    web developer.

Preferring not to have to interact with others will rule out some jobs (sales for example) or tactile issues with plants / soil / insetct will rule out others (gardener).

Most jobs in IT are now at risk from AI to a degree so unless you already have skills to sell there I would not consider this field.

Your level of education will also have a strong influence (eg not having a relevant degree makes becoming a vet unviable) so it may be best to work through the list, rate each one from possible to impossible (find a scale that works for you) and then look more closely at the ones on the top of the possible range.

That would be my recommendation for finding options.

• Hi Sim! I think a quiet job is best suited for autistic people. A quiet environment is a friendly environment, like working in a library, which I did do after I finished school and I loved every second of it apart from dealing with people.

Working with animals would probably be good too! I find it much easier and more comfortable around animals than I do with people and have often considered a job working with animals, but again, dealing with people would be a challenge and I'm not great at interacting with people. I would love to work with animals, they are so friendly and lovely, and, you don't need to mask can just be yourself.

• I think the best jobs for autistic people that best suit us is something with few people and a quiet environment, like working in a library. My sister (she's also autistic) works in a library.

I work as a cemetery gardener at the local church yard, basically getting weeds out, keeping the grass neat and tidy, and ensuring no damage comes to the gravestones. I love this work! I find cemetery's oddly calming, I guess because it is a calm and quiet environment, and it can be interesting reading the names on the graves and wondering who that person was.

It wouldn't be for everyone but this job is definitely well suited to me. 

Slight smile

• I have done it for so long, in so many jobs and positions that the social aspects per se aren't that hard.  Talking to women is hard, but just day to day, hour to hour banter with other males is pretty easy. But i have done it for a long time and have my camoflage and can appear like an NT for the most part.  I guess I had to become a chameleon, well I was pretty much told by the Jobcentre, long ago, that being a master of all situations would be useful to me, by someone who probably knew I was on the spectrum.  I learnt what was required to fit into most situations.

As to working alone, I agree.  When people leave me to get on with my work i get more done, but I also rapidly run out of work.  One contract i took on, I was tasked with an A4 list of jobs that needed to be fixed at a factory.  I had completed the list after five days.  They expected it to take a month.  So being efficient cost me three weeks wages. Stuck out tongue  But the company did use me a few more times for those jobs that no one else wanted to do, so in reality I probably made up for it longer term. Slight smile  They also weren't unhappy to give me a bonus each time for dealing with problems rapidly.

• I've been plugging away "at my thing" for 30+ years......so whether people like it or not (and despite the horrendous sacrifices I have made to stick with it [unconsciously])......I know now, that I am blessed now, to enjoy a degree of confidence in my field!

FYI - Still not confident that I did the RIGHT thing and that now I am in the RIGHT place.......but I am in a place where I feel confident....but not necessarily comfortable  !

• That makes sense, thank you for sharing. I know what you mean, I have felt most "normal" when people talk to me about something I like or when I have been able to do work that I am skilled at. I'm happy for you you've found something like that. Hope I can one day too

• Yes I think for me too the social aspect of working is one of the most draining. I notice for other people, usually neurotypicals, the social aspect of work seems to be an enjoyable aspect for them, but for me its a whole extra stressor that makes work even more draining. I'm always jealous of people that work alone, I would love it. I never seem to get lonely!

• It's not a "silly" question.....it is a common and reasonable question....just "meaningless" to me, because of how I perceive us autistic people to be - ie UBER varied!!

I have all manner of problems (very similar to yours,) but I can cope in terms of work.....because.....when I am at work, I can "become" or "become perceived" as something/someone different......because I am doing something that I have a natural competency at... and REALLY enjoy doing.  I'm incredibly social and verbal if we're talking about something I know & do well.  The problems start (for me) if we stray into "normal" social territory.......then, frankly, I can't be arsed and don't function well.

Like I say......everyone / every situation is different.

I hope some of the other folk here have been a bit more constructive than me!  I do, most sincerely, wish you VERY well in your hunt.

Kindest regards

Number.

• When I was working the problems I had were with colleagues and bosses.  I also had problems with time pressure.  If I looked for a job now I would look for solitary work where I can work at my own pace.  I know that is hard to come by and probably would require new skills.  There have been a few good suggestions though.

• This is a really good point, thank you. I had tried to pursue freelance work before but found the lack of stability a bit anxiety-inducing.

Yes I understand that, being freelance can mean there is a lot of uncertainty and lack of reliable work/income.

But your comment has made me realise the job I'm in now poses its own problems because the hours are completely wrong for me and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I am glad my comment has made you realise this, after all with self employment at least you can choose your own hours and work when you have the energy. Below I have linked to a related article about an autistic man in self employment and how he can tailor his work around achieving flow states and optimum energy levels:

https://spacedoutandsmiling.com/blog/2021-11-27-staying-put-monotropism-me

Thank you for your suggestion, it is really helpful to consider this!

You are so welcome!

• Yes, you're right, I realised it's a bit of a difficult question to answer, we are all so different. Thank you for your suggestions, that is really helpful. I think making a list like you said would definitely help me see things a bit clearer, I think right now I'm struggling to know where to even begin and that's a good idea of how to start, thank you. And yes I used to work at a charity and loved doing something I care about so I like those ideas. I had to leave the charity because the work got too overwhelming and too much drama as well, but I do miss doing something I feel passionate about. Thank you so much for your help

• That's a good point. I definitely struggle in my current role when I'm just in my open-plan office all day with no time to be alone and reset. I often end up having a bad meltdown if I can't have breaks throughout the day. And yes that's tricky about self-employment, I would love to have more flexible working hours and autonomy but the lack of stability is a bit scary

• Hi, I don't know if this question is for me or for TSC22, but I personally was diagnosed last June. Regarding burnout, my mental health was slowly getting worse since starting my first proper job last May and recently was so bad, having constant meltdowns, unable to shower or clean my flat, constantly exhausted, anxiety so bad I can't get my words out. I looked up about autistic burnout and it seemed to make sense to me. I went to my GP to get help and she told me "burnout" isn't a medical term so they can't diagnose it, she's just called it "work stress and generalised anxiety" on my sick note, which is annoying

• that is so awful that someone said that to you, oh my goodness. I'm really truly shocked and saddened for you. The person who said that sounds deeply disturbed and horrid. Well done for carrying on and surviving that, and now using your experience and wisdom to help others

• I can have days like that but I am lucky to have a job that is mainly admin/process driven.  Bullies are everywhere unfortunately.  Keep coming with the questions.  I am new to this so am mostly reading through answers :)

• I'm so sorry you're going through that. It really sounds like you need a break if you can have one. Teaching sounds so difficult, do you enjoy it? Perhaps there is something that would suit you better and be less draining for you. Well done for taking sick leave, I hope you can have some more time off and rest as it really sounds like you need it.

• Hi Samantha, thank you for your comment. I definitely relate to what you said about the morale in the room. And I think flexible hours sounds super helpful, at the moment it just feels like my body is physically rejecting the hours I'm making myself work, I'm always getting ill and struggling to stay awake at my desk. I definitely think seeking out flexible hours is a good idea for me going forward, thank you. I'm glad you found something better for you, and sorry it took going through such hard times to get there. Wishing you all the best. 

• This is a good idea thank you! I like the idea of the quiet environment