Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • When I was working the problems I had were with colleagues and bosses.  I also had problems with time pressure.  If I looked for a job now I would look for solitary work where I can work at my own pace.  I know that is hard to come by and probably would require new skills.  There have been a few good suggestions though.

• Yes I think for me too the social aspect of working is one of the most draining. I notice for other people, usually neurotypicals, the social aspect of work seems to be an enjoyable aspect for them, but for me its a whole extra stressor that makes work even more draining. I'm always jealous of people that work alone, I would love it. I never seem to get lonely!

• I have done it for so long, in so many jobs and positions that the social aspects per se aren't that hard.  Talking to women is hard, but just day to day, hour to hour banter with other males is pretty easy. But i have done it for a long time and have my camoflage and can appear like an NT for the most part.  I guess I had to become a chameleon, well I was pretty much told by the Jobcentre, long ago, that being a master of all situations would be useful to me, by someone who probably knew I was on the spectrum.  I learnt what was required to fit into most situations.

As to working alone, I agree.  When people leave me to get on with my work i get more done, but I also rapidly run out of work.  One contract i took on, I was tasked with an A4 list of jobs that needed to be fixed at a factory.  I had completed the list after five days.  They expected it to take a month.  So being efficient cost me three weeks wages. Stuck out tongue  But the company did use me a few more times for those jobs that no one else wanted to do, so in reality I probably made up for it longer term. Slight smile  They also weren't unhappy to give me a bonus each time for dealing with problems rapidly.

• I have done it for so long, in so many jobs and positions that the social aspects per se aren't that hard.  Talking to women is hard, but just day to day, hour to hour banter with other males is pretty easy. But i have done it for a long time and have my camoflage and can appear like an NT for the most part.  I guess I had to become a chameleon, well I was pretty much told by the Jobcentre, long ago, that being a master of all situations would be useful to me, by someone who probably knew I was on the spectrum.  I learnt what was required to fit into most situations.

As to working alone, I agree.  When people leave me to get on with my work i get more done, but I also rapidly run out of work.  One contract i took on, I was tasked with an A4 list of jobs that needed to be fixed at a factory.  I had completed the list after five days.  They expected it to take a month.  So being efficient cost me three weeks wages. Stuck out tongue  But the company did use me a few more times for those jobs that no one else wanted to do, so in reality I probably made up for it longer term. Slight smile  They also weren't unhappy to give me a bonus each time for dealing with problems rapidly.

Children
No Data