Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • I have a senior role in IT architecture and I have been struggling with chronic burnout for three years now, but I have managed that career for more than 20 years.  It's not that I'm recommending you switch to IT, but I think I have been able to manage it because I am very interested in technology and enjoy many aspects of the job.

I think that's the key. All jobs will present us with challenges - just getting up in the morning is often a struggle for me! - but if you can find something that aligns with your special interests it becomes much more sustainable, as elements of the job may actively recharge you instead of draining you.

• I have a senior role in IT architecture and I have been struggling with chronic burnout for three years now, but I have managed that career for more than 20 years.  It's not that I'm recommending you switch to IT, but I think I have been able to manage it because I am very interested in technology and enjoy many aspects of the job.

I think that's the key. All jobs will present us with challenges - just getting up in the morning is often a struggle for me! - but if you can find something that aligns with your special interests it becomes much more sustainable, as elements of the job may actively recharge you instead of draining you.

Children
  • I'm sorry to hear it's been so hard for you too. But I'm glad you've found something that suits you. That's a very good point about finding something that aligns with your special interest. That really resonates with me too, as I used to work for a charity and found I was much more motivated to make the job work (even when I was struggling) because it was for something I was really interested in and care about. Since reading your comment a few days ago I have actually been thinking about ways I could redirect my career back to something I'm interested in and I'm feeling more hopeful, so really thank you so much for your advice! 

• What kind of IT job do you have>

• LOL, are you working for my same company? My senior Inf. is suffering from both ASD and OCD, the slightest deviation from procedure makes him angry to no end. Thankfully, he found a supportive management and a work environment where ASD is almost a prerequisite lol.