Parents of autistic adults.

Hi.. iam brand new on here and feel super nervous even writing this.

My 25 year old son has challenges in adult life and iam asking as a mom if other parents feel lost or stuck in life.

Parents
  • So I am 49.  I live with my parents.  I actually hate that I live with my parents and feel like a complete failure in life.  My problems are not just related to ASD, I have a ton of other health issues as well.

So I didn't always live at home.  I lived away from home for probably 17 or so years, lived and maintained my own home, went to university and college, lived all over the country.  I am high functioning and diagnosed late in life, so the diagnosis was just the answering of a question, not so much any functional addition to my life.

Everyone struggles, with life.  Both ND and NT, it's just not an easy process.  Everyone has challenges.  For a lot of us social related things are the main challenge, so we generally don't have relationships or friendships, or if we do, they are often broken/damaged things that may or may not last.  If that is one of his problems, it's just reality.  i can't say it will get any better.  If he is lucky, maybe it will.  Working will generally always be hard and cause massive stress.  We can either try and find solutions or put up with it.  Plus more.

What is your son struggling with exactly?

• So I am 49.  I live with my parents.  I actually hate that I live with my parents and feel like a complete failure in life.  My problems are not just related to ASD, I have a ton of other health issues as well.

So I didn't always live at home.  I lived away from home for probably 17 or so years, lived and maintained my own home, went to university and college, lived all over the country.  I am high functioning and diagnosed late in life, so the diagnosis was just the answering of a question, not so much any functional addition to my life.

Everyone struggles, with life.  Both ND and NT, it's just not an easy process.  Everyone has challenges.  For a lot of us social related things are the main challenge, so we generally don't have relationships or friendships, or if we do, they are often broken/damaged things that may or may not last.  If that is one of his problems, it's just reality.  i can't say it will get any better.  If he is lucky, maybe it will.  Working will generally always be hard and cause massive stress.  We can either try and find solutions or put up with it.  Plus more.

What is your son struggling with exactly?

Children
No Data