How do you cope?

I’m a recently diagnosed adult woman and was wondering what people find helps them cope the best? I’m just trying to make adjustments in my life as I’m learning more about how I struggle. Just want to see how people may cope with social communication, sensory issues, routine/changes. Etc. Any suggestions would be welcome as I’m finding it difficult to put adjustments and tools in place after going without them for years.

Parents
  • Since diagnosis I haven't changed how I behave much, I am just kinder to myself. I do not force myself to attend social events that I suspect I would be uncomfortable at, excepting things like weddings and suchlike, where I think attending is socially unavoidable. I also try to build in 'alone time' after social events in order to recover. As for sensory issues, I just try to avoid my triggers when possible. If someone's perfume is making me feel ill, I get away. I walk down side streets to avoid crowds and at all costs I avoid touching nylon fabric, which is my most potent sensory trigger.

• I think I do too with nylon, I remember disliking the texture when I had a T-shirt made of it when I was a child. I also remember learning at Chemistry in school that nylon got the name as it was discovered in New York and London simultaneously. I've just asked Google Gemini that and it's informed me it is 'a common misconception' (If I ever bump into my old Chemistry teacher again I'll let him know) Stuck out tongue closed eyes

• I think I do too with nylon, I remember disliking the texture when I had a T-shirt made of it when I was a child. I also remember learning at Chemistry in school that nylon got the name as it was discovered in New York and London simultaneously. I've just asked Google Gemini that and it's informed me it is 'a common misconception' (If I ever bump into my old Chemistry teacher again I'll let him know) Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Children
No Data