The Good Old Times - Bittersweet memories

The good old days, eh?

Older generations, say from mid 30's onwards, speak of how things were better in the good old days.

I believe that I have been blessed with a good life, with many great experiences. Oh course there were experiences that were not so great.

The thing is, when I look back on those experiences, the times, the places, the things I did - I should be grateful.
Yes, I am grateful, but I am also filled with what can be an overwhelming sadness.
Sadness that those days are long gone, the World has changed, I've gotten older (53), my health has declined.

Sure, you don't have to be autistic to have those mournful thoughts for what once was, but does being autistic make it that much harder?

Parents
  • I was born in 1977 and came of age in the 90s. I look back on those times as being carefree, happy and almost idyllic. There was no social media, phones or anything that we have now. Life was simpler, less complicated, and living in the moment was easier to do as there were no distractions to life. Maybe we were living a life of ignorance, but it was easier. 

Yes, autism reframes the past and how I lived, but that does not diminish the joy those years brought me. I feel sad that life for my children won't be that easy, like being able to buy a house, or go to uni. 

I am glad I lived when I did though.

• I was born in 1971, so were from the same era.

The 1980's was a great decade to grow up in - a lot happened during those 10 years.
    Yes, were young and carefree without the too many worries, maybe not so for our parents - especially those that had to endure financial struggles after the stock market crash in 1987.

I'll create a new discussion about growing up in the 1980's.

Reply Children
No Data