How do I navigate hurtful comments from an autistic parent?

I'm the child of an autistic parent (Dad) he is a really good parent, but being his child has posed a lot of challenges.

Here's two examples:

My family and I were spending time together and playing the game cards against humanity. So I pulled a card that said 'I am covered in *blank*' my dad didn't understand the premise of the game and thought it just was stating a fact about a person. His response was "Oh, you're covered in pimples!" I have struggled with acne most of my teenage life, and I am deeply insecure about it. I tried to play it off, but I ended up sobbing about it later. 

Another time my dad commented on my weight. Some context, I have a gluten allergy, and when I eat it my face gets puffy and my stomach gets very bloated. I had accidentally eaten gluten and when my dad saw me he says, " I don't understand what happened to you, last week you were skinny and beautiful but this week you aren't. I don't get it how did you gain so much weight so quickly?" Here's the thing, I actually hadn't gained weight, my body was just inflamed from an allergic reaction. I already felt terrible about how I looked, and then this comment just made me feel even worse.

These kind of comments have really effected me over the years. There have been points where I talk to him about it and he has apologized for hurting my feelings, but they still happen. I have told him certain subjects are off limits. My weight is not to be discussed especially because I struggle with an eating disorder. I told him that and he understood. There just are still comments made about me that I don't think he understands that though factual are incredibly hurtful. What advice do you have for me?

Parents
  • Not all parents are perfect, and there are many things they need to learn along their way of parenthood. For his sake, he needs to learn to keep comments like that to himself, for his actions could have unfathomable consequences down the line and will only have himself to blame.

He was being honest, so now it's time for you to do the same and tell him that what he said was out of order. If he can dish it, he can take it, and at least your words will serve to benefit you both later on down the line

• Not all parents are perfect, and there are many things they need to learn along their way of parenthood. For his sake, he needs to learn to keep comments like that to himself, for his actions could have unfathomable consequences down the line and will only have himself to blame.

He was being honest, so now it's time for you to do the same and tell him that what he said was out of order. If he can dish it, he can take it, and at least your words will serve to benefit you both later on down the line

Children
No Data