Reactions to diagnosis

How did people react to you telling them you have autism? 

For me personally my family were mostly accepting and happy for me. My dad wasn't very supportive, he's never liked me much, always thought I was fussy and didn't try hard enough in things I do. At school I used to have meltdowns because of how stressful it was and I struggled with processing but my dad said I was overreacting and attention seeking. He's never understood.

My grandparents weren't very supportive either, though my Gramps was unbelievably supportive and happy for me which did surprise me. Gramps is now my best friend, my rock, I know I can turn to him no matter what about absolutely anything. We are so close. He's more of a dad to me than my own dad is, sad but true.

When I was attempting work I decided to tell one of my colleagues that I have autism. Her reply "you don't look autistic..." After that day I found my mind constantly trying to figure out what autism actually looks like. Me, apparently.

Overall telling people of my diagnosis was well received but there have been a few people who didn't unfortunately understand, or didn't try to understand. Most people though were supportive and happy for me.

Parents
  • Hi 

Since discovering my youngest son is autistic and then realising that I am too I have made it my mission to be as supportive as humanly possible.

Reading some of the stories on here have cemented that as I feel concerned for the people who have not been well received when telling their loved ones and friends.

I have always been very accommodating towards people with differences all through my life and always acknowledged them even if they are strangers. My work with my son continues to make his life go as smoothly as possible into adulthood. 
    Everyone deserves the right to be accepted for who they are and I hope you all one day no longer suffer as a result.

Good luck to all

• My work with my son continues to make his life go as smoothly as possible into adulthood. 
    Everyone deserves the right to be accepted for who they are and I hope you all one day no longer suffer as a result.

Your son is very lucky to have you in his life. Not every parent is understanding and supportive, it might help you as well knowing he's autistic and you're not on your own.

Yes absolutely, everyone deserves to be happy and accepted in this life.

• My work with my son continues to make his life go as smoothly as possible into adulthood. 

Your son is very lucky to have you in his life. Not every parent is understanding and supportive, it might help you as well knowing he's autistic and you're not on your own.

Yes absolutely, everyone deserves to be happy and accepted in this life.

Children
No Data