What to do if parents aren’t supportive of your needs as a young adult?

Hi everyone. So I’m wondering if anyone has advice with how to cope with the fact that perhaps my parents just cannot provide me with the support I need to cope with the challenges I face each day. 

I have tried many times throughout childhood and now as a young adult to ask for support. When my parents realize how bad it gets then they may do the things that I ask them to do because they say to me they want to help. But then shortly after they stop. I feel selfish asking for them to do small things like check with me to make sure I don’t do too much everyday as I have a tendency to overdo things and then get burnt out, but I need some help with certain things. And if they offer to help but then don’t follow through I feel really rubbish and that they don’t care about me. This has always been like this. Also, my emotions are often invalidated - I’m told to stop worrying or it’s not so bad etc etc. And everyone in my family only is happy when I am ‘happy’, when nothing is going wrong, when I’m not having meltdowns etc etc. 

I'm on here to try and build a bigger support system and find people who do get it. But until I find more people, processing the idea that my parents might never be able to help me and feeling that I might be alone forever makes me super scared. Anyone else, or just me? 

Parents Reply Children
No Data