Preparing for PIP assessment - What to expect/traps?

At the start of this year I decided to take the step to apply for PIP, my research kept telling me there's a slim chance of success first time around so I'm mentally preparing myself for rejection and appeal anyway. Regardless, I still want to give myself the best possible shot by being clear, honest and hopefully not miscommunicating myself too much as being able to do things I cannot. This is the one thing I'm having a lot of trouble preparing for both mentally and practically, the assessment. Citizens Advice have been helping me with the application and the phone call I had with them to go through the form was difficult and draining enough and that's with someone who was doing their best to try and help me and gave me helpfully leading questions to get important information out of my which I likely wouldn't have thought to (or had the confidence to) mention without those leading questions. I actually feel some guilt over being so stressed because thinking back the guy who went through the form with me was really kind and helpful. The thing is, I can easily fall into leading questions and I do worry that the assessor who, unlike CAB, is not rearly there to help or guide me and is likely trying to trip me up and try and make me say enough wrong to where I don't appear to score a single point. I guess I'm just looking to understand what exactly I'm to expect, what common traps they may lay I should be aware of, any common trick questions that I can/should refuse etc. because I feel like I'll answer anything, and I might not be willing to add additional information beyond a 'yes' to one of their trap questions.

Parents
  • Beware of informal conversations after the assessment has officially finished.  Everything you do or say is analysed.   I was asked about my standard of education as parting smalltalk.  Although there are no education questions in the assessment. The fact that I have a degree was used in the written report to justify giving me zero points because I don't need any external help with my life.

• That's ridiculous and offensive! I don't expect they asked if you had any external help while studying?! Or if the experience left you burnt out.

Might be best to just refuse to participate in small talk on the grounds of being autistic!

• Might be best to just refuse to participate in small talk on the grounds of being autistic!

I genuinely wouldn't be able to anyway Laughing once they say the assessments 'over' I want to curl up and get out of there.

Reply Children
No Data