No real friends or acquaintances

It's just mentally tough. I really have no one to talk to. I only have work colleagues, and that's it. It's a very sad situation being like this. I'm different to other people and i just can't accept i'll never make friends. It's missing out on life, this s*** is. I do deeply wish i could make friends - i long for more conmections,and having a few guys to hang out with would be great. I always am alone and it takes a toll on my psyche. I've wanted friends for years, but I've never been successful. At 20, should i accept i'll never make the friends and memories i want?

Parents
  • I relate with this a lot. I've always loved the idea of having friends, a single friend would do but I've never been able to... In fact at times I feel incapable of making friends. I've studied how to make friends, ready up so much and it's never worked. I literally have no idea how to make friends or even talk to people without being socially awkward.

Being social makes me so anxious and uncomfortable, I think it puts people off me before they even get to know me.

I was at uni last year and there was such an uncomfortable atmosphere with my roomie.

• How did manage to get through uni in the awkward atmosphere you describe? When you try to make friends, and break the proverbial ice, how does it go?

Reply Children
  • I think masking mostly is what's got me through so far and what got me through school. It goes ok but generally I don't do much social interacting, not unless I absolutely have to anyway. I'm still trying to find new ways of being better socially, I listen to what other people say and how they talk and I'm trying to mimic that.