How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • I think processing the diagnosis can be really difficult for a lot of people. If it was difficult for me and because life is ever changing it's a constant time of processing everything going on in your life and around you.

Being autistic is a huge thing, it's a lot to take in so give yourself time. I was diagnosed a few years ago and even now I'm still coming to terms with my diagnosis and what it means for me. It's not always easy but I remain happy at being diagnosed early in life.

How you're feeling is absolutely normal. We're here if you need to talk or need support. Look after yourself and take care.

• I think processing the diagnosis can be really difficult for a lot of people. If it was difficult for me and because life is ever changing it's a constant time of processing everything going on in your life and around you.

Being autistic is a huge thing, it's a lot to take in so give yourself time. I was diagnosed a few years ago and even now I'm still coming to terms with my diagnosis and what it means for me. It's not always easy but I remain happy at being diagnosed early in life.

How you're feeling is absolutely normal. We're here if you need to talk or need support. Look after yourself and take care.

Children
No Data