How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • A little late to this but I was so relieved I started crying. When the psychiatryUk person confirmed it I felt so much relief. I'd been considering having autism for a while, almost 2 and a half years, but had spent a lot of time telling myself I was making it up (due to being called an attention seeker for the majority of my life). She also said I showed signs of ADHD (now diagnosed with that recently too). There was also grief, knowing how many people missed things - Family (several who literally work with people like me), friends, doctors, psychologists, school, college, counsellors. 

• A little late to this but I was so relieved I started crying. When the psychiatryUk person confirmed it I felt so much relief. I'd been considering having autism for a while, almost 2 and a half years, but had spent a lot of time telling myself I was making it up (due to being called an attention seeker for the majority of my life). She also said I showed signs of ADHD (now diagnosed with that recently too). There was also grief, knowing how many people missed things - Family (several who literally work with people like me), friends, doctors, psychologists, school, college, counsellors. 

Children
No Data