How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • Diagnosed at 24. I was left with a report to read through, and I just stopped and read through the suggestions on help to receive.

I am mad that no one throughout my education and GP visits flagged that my suffering and loneliness were a result of my autistic brain. 

I am also mad at the lack of resources to support autistic individuals growing up, throughout life and later in life.

I kind of feel overloaded at the moment with no social life, having to cope with a cost of living crisis, being discriminated against when it comes to job hunting and applications and trying to get around from A to B for years without a private car. Travelling to the university by bus for the previous five years, with no social life and working part-time, broke me.

Ironically I wrote about how to improve mental health and wellbeing for my dissertation, but the ideas I discussed will probably never get implemented to help those with over active minds. 

I am tired of this planet. 

• Diagnosed at 24. I was left with a report to read through, and I just stopped and read through the suggestions on help to receive.

I am mad that no one throughout my education and GP visits flagged that my suffering and loneliness were a result of my autistic brain. 

I am also mad at the lack of resources to support autistic individuals growing up, throughout life and later in life.

I kind of feel overloaded at the moment with no social life, having to cope with a cost of living crisis, being discriminated against when it comes to job hunting and applications and trying to get around from A to B for years without a private car. Travelling to the university by bus for the previous five years, with no social life and working part-time, broke me.

Ironically I wrote about how to improve mental health and wellbeing for my dissertation, but the ideas I discussed will probably never get implemented to help those with over active minds. 

I am tired of this planet. 

Children
No Data