How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • I was diagnosed last year, age 55. I knew I had major problems with life, so on that front it was a big plus to know why. But, then, I slowly realise the 'problem' is in me and I am the one not fitting in or functioning well and that will never be cured. All the emotional issues, perception and comprehension problems, and the rest will never end.  So for me it is realising the reality of me, and adjusting how I deal with it. There are alot of downsides to autism, but I do believe you can survive and find ways to circumvent them enough to live positively. I can't do it alone though. Alone I am lost in it. Up to now I can say I have been relieved, depressed, anxious, despairing...but ultimately I put it into context best I can and work on new strategies. I don't like 'new'! But at least autism gives me a great desire to plan and create structured routine. Asking for help is not so nice.

• I was diagnosed last year, age 55. I knew I had major problems with life, so on that front it was a big plus to know why. But, then, I slowly realise the 'problem' is in me and I am the one not fitting in or functioning well and that will never be cured. All the emotional issues, perception and comprehension problems, and the rest will never end.  So for me it is realising the reality of me, and adjusting how I deal with it. There are alot of downsides to autism, but I do believe you can survive and find ways to circumvent them enough to live positively. I can't do it alone though. Alone I am lost in it. Up to now I can say I have been relieved, depressed, anxious, despairing...but ultimately I put it into context best I can and work on new strategies. I don't like 'new'! But at least autism gives me a great desire to plan and create structured routine. Asking for help is not so nice.

Children
No Data