How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • It was a huge relief for me. I'd known for years, but after years of medical gaslighting over this and various physical health issues I felt like I couldn't trust my own judgement any more. Getting confirmation that I'd been right was huge for me.

I won't say it's all been positive- I've been quite angry sometimes that I struggled for so long with no help. You do need to process it though because it's a big deal- if you haven't had any counselling or therapy, or haven't spoken much to other autistic people, now might be the time to consider it.

• It was a huge relief for me. I'd known for years, but after years of medical gaslighting over this and various physical health issues I felt like I couldn't trust my own judgement any more. Getting confirmation that I'd been right was huge for me.

I won't say it's all been positive- I've been quite angry sometimes that I struggled for so long with no help. You do need to process it though because it's a big deal- if you haven't had any counselling or therapy, or haven't spoken much to other autistic people, now might be the time to consider it.

Children
No Data