How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • I was diagnosed at 59. I was hugely relieved, as I now had an explanation for my quirks, difficulties and limitations. I have viewed my autistic status as being overwhelmingly positive ever since. My position is perhaps privileged, because though my autistic traits have sometimes had a limiting effect on my life, I have a very stoical character and I would not let these limitations prevent me from achieving goals that were particularly important to me. I also, retrospectively, have recognised that some of my autistic traits, the ability to concentrate on one thing (intense focus) and problem solving from unusual directions (lateral thinking), are very valuable.

• I was diagnosed at 59. I was hugely relieved, as I now had an explanation for my quirks, difficulties and limitations. I have viewed my autistic status as being overwhelmingly positive ever since. My position is perhaps privileged, because though my autistic traits have sometimes had a limiting effect on my life, I have a very stoical character and I would not let these limitations prevent me from achieving goals that were particularly important to me. I also, retrospectively, have recognised that some of my autistic traits, the ability to concentrate on one thing (intense focus) and problem solving from unusual directions (lateral thinking), are very valuable.

Children
No Data