How did you react to your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed late last year at 42 and was initially happy with the result. Since then my wife says I've gone downhill and been in a poor state mood/mental health wise (I'm not good at recognising my own mental state so her input is vital). I'm wondering whether processing my diagnosis has been harder than I expected and I'm wondering how you found diagnosis as an adult?

Parents
  • I was merely six years old when I got statemented. I knew I was different, but I wasn't sure why I was getting different treatment. As far as I was concerned, this was just something that happened and I had no reaction. 

I just had immense trouble understanding things and reading. Plus I had such a strange obsession with toilets! But hey, one of the quirks of autism eh? 

People ask me, "What is it like being autistic?", to which I responded, "I can't say. I don't know what it's like to be not autistic so I can't give you an accurate response." 

• I was merely six years old when I got statemented. I knew I was different, but I wasn't sure why I was getting different treatment. As far as I was concerned, this was just something that happened and I had no reaction. 

I just had immense trouble understanding things and reading. Plus I had such a strange obsession with toilets! But hey, one of the quirks of autism eh? 

People ask me, "What is it like being autistic?", to which I responded, "I can't say. I don't know what it's like to be not autistic so I can't give you an accurate response." 

Children
No Data