How do you cope with work?

I’ve worked in hospitality/customer service the whole of my adult life and always struggled, My recent autism diagnosis has made me realise how detrimental pushing myself to do this job is to my wellbeing. I have a meeting with work tomorrow to make reasonable adjustments - I’m on a zero hour contract as well and barely getting by with benefits. My mood is so slow and anxiety so high at the minute I’m struggling to do anything. I’ve applied to some remote jobs and disability benefits but feel like a failure. I’m just so tired of pushing myself to do things like this when it’s so stressful for me. I’m not sure what adjustments can be made or to go off work sick? Just feel so guilty because I love working and don’t want people to think I’m being lazy. I feel lazy by not working but I’m struggling, and rent and bills are so high.

Parents
  • Definitely look in to disability benefits because you're not lazy. You don't choose to be this way, none of us do. Life with autism is far from easy and I say you're amazing for doing this in the first place and for persevering through it. I tried working a few times, last time was a supermarket and it was sheer hell. I'm now on benefits which I hate doing but going out to work made me severely anxious and affected my mental health.

• Definitely look in to disability benefits because you're not lazy. You don't choose to be this way, none of us do. Life with autism is far from easy and I say you're amazing for doing this in the first place and for persevering through it. I tried working a few times, last time was a supermarket and it was sheer hell. I'm now on benefits which I hate doing but going out to work made me severely anxious and affected my mental health.

Children
No Data