How do you cope with work?

I’ve worked in hospitality/customer service the whole of my adult life and always struggled, My recent autism diagnosis has made me realise how detrimental pushing myself to do this job is to my wellbeing. I have a meeting with work tomorrow to make reasonable adjustments - I’m on a zero hour contract as well and barely getting by with benefits. My mood is so slow and anxiety so high at the minute I’m struggling to do anything. I’ve applied to some remote jobs and disability benefits but feel like a failure. I’m just so tired of pushing myself to do things like this when it’s so stressful for me. I’m not sure what adjustments can be made or to go off work sick? Just feel so guilty because I love working and don’t want people to think I’m being lazy. I feel lazy by not working but I’m struggling, and rent and bills are so high.

Parents
  • I feel lazy by not working but I’m struggling, and rent and bills are so high.

You're not lazy and you're not a failure.

You've got to remember we're in a hard-right capitalist society designed by neurotypical people, for neurotypical people. There's very little thought and consideration given to the neurodiverse community, so there's no surprise so many of us find it exhausting. Our Prime Minister has also called The Equality Act 2010 "woke", which further highlights how out of touch with reality our government is and the problems that creates.

The fact you're blaming yourself for this is another part of the problem.

You're not to blame. The failures of our government are. The job market is horrendous, the economy a mess, and the Tories have even paraded anti-WFH propaganda around to take that away. That's what people should be getting angry about, not with themselves.

Reply Children
No Data