How do you cope with work?

I’ve worked in hospitality/customer service the whole of my adult life and always struggled, My recent autism diagnosis has made me realise how detrimental pushing myself to do this job is to my wellbeing. I have a meeting with work tomorrow to make reasonable adjustments - I’m on a zero hour contract as well and barely getting by with benefits. My mood is so slow and anxiety so high at the minute I’m struggling to do anything. I’ve applied to some remote jobs and disability benefits but feel like a failure. I’m just so tired of pushing myself to do things like this when it’s so stressful for me. I’m not sure what adjustments can be made or to go off work sick? Just feel so guilty because I love working and don’t want people to think I’m being lazy. I feel lazy by not working but I’m struggling, and rent and bills are so high.

Parents
  • I was in the same place around 3 years ago. My anxiety was making me very unwell, so I decided to go self employed. Its hard because if I don't work I obviously don't take money that week. But since putting my health before work my anxiety is so much better. Yes It brings more money worries but the anxiety of working out of my home was far worse. I have just applied for PIP so hopefully that will be some help. I used to be so hard on myself when I couldn't work but I've been practising self care and treating myself like I would do a friend that is struggling with the same thing. It has helped me to feel less guilty and I now nurture myself more. I hope you get some relief from the worry soon! You've got this

• I was in the same place around 3 years ago. My anxiety was making me very unwell, so I decided to go self employed. Its hard because if I don't work I obviously don't take money that week. But since putting my health before work my anxiety is so much better. Yes It brings more money worries but the anxiety of working out of my home was far worse. I have just applied for PIP so hopefully that will be some help. I used to be so hard on myself when I couldn't work but I've been practising self care and treating myself like I would do a friend that is struggling with the same thing. It has helped me to feel less guilty and I now nurture myself more. I hope you get some relief from the worry soon! You've got this

Children
  • could I ask how you became self employed? I’ve been looking for remote jobs but not sure where to start as all of my experience is customer based and that’s the opposite of what I want at the minute !