24 years old, just diagnosed with Autism and ADHD

Hi everyone,

Ihad my assessment for ASD yesterday and was confirmed a diagnosis. I got diagnosed with ADHD at the start of last year and I have just turned 24 years old, and I’m female. I’m just having a huge issue with processing it. I’m kind of in a bit of a mental health crisis at the moment, really struggling to work and generally keep my head above water. I wasn’t sure how I would feel after a diagnosis and it’s really hard to process all the feelings. I’m mostly struggling with it, there was a lot of relief at first but now I’m really scared. I think that because I know it’s part of my mental health struggles it’s worrying me because it’s never going to go away. I know there is a lot of good that comes from me being autistic but I’m struggling to accept I’m going to need help for the rest of my life. I’m already just so tired already, and it hurts to know I can’t change the fact I suffered alone and unrecognised for so long. Really finding it hard to see how it can help at the moment, I know it will and has made me understand myself better but now I do just know I’m different, and I’m so much more aware of it. not sure how to navigate this world that isn’t meant for me.

Parents
  • Yeah, I found that really hard to deal with too. I felt safe by convincing myself that I wouldn't have another mental health disaster because it was caused by ____, so if I didn't _____ I'd be okay. But then the 3rd time (2022) I was told I was probably autistic and that was at the root of my anxiety issues. So I'm trying to understand my brain better so I can use that to cope better, but yeah, it's very difficult to know how to make progress in that and scary to think of having to deal with some degree of it for the next 50 years.

I wish I had constructive advice, but I'm not there either so... welcome to here and I hope you can heal soon. 

• Hi Tris, thank you so much for replying. It helps to know that I’m not alone in this worry. Everyone is telling me it’s great I finally have answers but I’m scared. 

Reply Children
No Data