Unmasked Self

I was curious.

I see a lot of people on YouTube, who, even when talking openly about their own Autism and Autism in general. Still admit to masking ALL the time. Even while making said videos. Which I can't fully understand why. I would think surely, given the purpose and audience. It would be okay to unmask. To be your true self.

Would anyone care to share what the differences are in your unmasked self compared to your masked self?

I for one. As if I'm not "different" enough. I don't mask. Never have. It's just something I don't do.

• I find I fidget.
  • Tap my hands and feet.
  • Rub my forehead and scalp with the back of my hands looking for imperfections.
  • I pull my eyelashes out with my fingernails when I'm feeling particularly anxious.
  • Use made up words or put random words together almost like Tourette's.
  • I'll change the subject of conversation quickly or create a weird random subject.
  • Stare at or touch things that pique my interest.
  • Imitate peoples personality and mannerisms.
  • Stare at people excessively.
  • React with excessive frustration at the smallest inconvenience.

The list goes on. While I'm at it though, here are a couple of my sensory triggers which may not be common.

• I HATE getting my hands wet unexpectedly.
  • I CANNOT wet razor shave my face.

Both of these cause extreme sensitivity to the point of near meltdown.

Parents
  • A few things I'm starting to notice about my unmasked self:

• I don't make eye contact unless I know the other person very well
    • I fidget a lot
    • I mimic the noises of appliances and animals
    • I talk to myself a lot
    • The facial expression that feelsneutral to me looks annoyed or bored to others
  • A few things I'm starting to notice about my unmasked self:

• I don't make eye contact unless I know the other person very well
    • I fidget a lot
    • I mimic the noises of appliances and animals
    • I talk to myself a lot
    • The facial expression that feelsneutral to me looks annoyed or bored to others
Children
No Data