Managing airports solo

I am having to fly independently for the first time in February. I don't mind planes but I find airports really difficult, they're noisy, involve lots of unexpected change, and I have to try and stay cognizant enough to communicate with members of staff, while also being unaware enough that I don't have a meltdown. And as it will be just me, I have to keep a level of awareness up at all times.

I'm interested to hear other peoples tips and tricks for this. I'm flying from London Stansted, their website gives me to understand that there is a quiet area in departures. Anyone know what this is like? I can't find any pictures of it which is annoying because for Eurostar they have a set of videos leading you through all the stages which I found really helpful. Is it worth booking assistance when I'm not sure I really need it? What can assistance do? Has anyone used them for autism?

Looking forward to hearing peoples experiences

Parents
  • I haven't flown since my diagnosis but I believe that airport staff are trained to recognise the sunflower lanyard and may even fast track you through security.

My usual strategy is to check in early and get through security as soon as possible. Then I don't hang around in the busy and noisy seating areas where all the shops are. I try to find an unused departure gate with an empty seating area to wait in, keeping an eye on the screens for my flight updates. Sometimes hordes of people will suddenly descend on that unused gate and I have to find somewhere else.

If I was travelling again in the future I would probably wear the lanyard and take up any special assistance offered. 

• I haven't flown since my diagnosis but I believe that airport staff are trained to recognise the sunflower lanyard and may even fast track you through security.

My usual strategy is to check in early and get through security as soon as possible. Then I don't hang around in the busy and noisy seating areas where all the shops are. I try to find an unused departure gate with an empty seating area to wait in, keeping an eye on the screens for my flight updates. Sometimes hordes of people will suddenly descend on that unused gate and I have to find somewhere else.

If I was travelling again in the future I would probably wear the lanyard and take up any special assistance offered. 

Children
No Data