Dating when on the spectrum?

Apparently, dating isn't easy for NT's, so how on earth are you supposed to find love when you are on the spectrum? I think my best option is to seek out someone else on the spectrum who would understand more. Any advice on how one would go about getting a meaningful relationship?

Parents
  • My two cents. There are billions of unique people out there and you can't control their actions, but that is ok. What you can do is control your actions. Worrying, about other people and obsessing over what other people are doing aren't really helpful to you. Dating isn't easy for NT's because they might be doing it wrong, and a thousand other variables, that end up with them being single, not necessarily about them being NT. Most of my advice comes from reading and i haven't put any of it into place so take it with a grain of salt. I think the most important thing is to focus on self improvement, think of it like you are trying to join two ships at sea, it is much easier to do this when the sea is calm compared to when their is a storm, and you have control over your own personal storm. The main things to focus on are openness and curiosity. Managing the thoughts going on inside your head, right thoughts lead to right actions, and wrong thoughts lead to wrong actions. If you cultivate inside yourself positive thoughts then you are more likely to be positive, but if you get stuck in a pit of despair and don't have ways of dealing with that, then it is going to be much harder to meet a partner. Dating isn't just about you, it is also about the other person. It is about finding someone willing to put up with your weaknesses, and loving your strengths, not trying to change you into something better but are happy with the way you are right now. I am currently reading the art of living by epictetus which is like a thousand year old self help manual, but I think the ideas in it are timeless. Openness and curiosity, are important because you have got to be interested in learning about the other person, they are not just a status symbol but someone you enjoy spending time around, you also shouldn't hide who you are as that will just lead to your eventual mental decline. There are probably lots of evidenced based approaches, you could do to make yourself happier like exercise. Fundamentally, I think it starts with change, if you do the same things you get the same results, so you need to look back and see what you enjoyed and what you didn't, figure out where you mistakes were then work on improving them. The purpose of dating isn't to get a partner, but to find someone you enjoy spending time around, who allows you to shine at your brightest and you them.

TLDR: Focus on self improvement, some resources, the art of living by epictetus, https://80000hours.org/career-guide/how-to-be-successful/.

• My two cents. There are billions of unique people out there and you can't control their actions, but that is ok. What you can do is control your actions. Worrying, about other people and obsessing over what other people are doing aren't really helpful to you. Dating isn't easy for NT's because they might be doing it wrong, and a thousand other variables, that end up with them being single, not necessarily about them being NT. Most of my advice comes from reading and i haven't put any of it into place so take it with a grain of salt. I think the most important thing is to focus on self improvement, think of it like you are trying to join two ships at sea, it is much easier to do this when the sea is calm compared to when their is a storm, and you have control over your own personal storm. The main things to focus on are openness and curiosity. Managing the thoughts going on inside your head, right thoughts lead to right actions, and wrong thoughts lead to wrong actions. If you cultivate inside yourself positive thoughts then you are more likely to be positive, but if you get stuck in a pit of despair and don't have ways of dealing with that, then it is going to be much harder to meet a partner. Dating isn't just about you, it is also about the other person. It is about finding someone willing to put up with your weaknesses, and loving your strengths, not trying to change you into something better but are happy with the way you are right now. I am currently reading the art of living by epictetus which is like a thousand year old self help manual, but I think the ideas in it are timeless. Openness and curiosity, are important because you have got to be interested in learning about the other person, they are not just a status symbol but someone you enjoy spending time around, you also shouldn't hide who you are as that will just lead to your eventual mental decline. There are probably lots of evidenced based approaches, you could do to make yourself happier like exercise. Fundamentally, I think it starts with change, if you do the same things you get the same results, so you need to look back and see what you enjoyed and what you didn't, figure out where you mistakes were then work on improving them. The purpose of dating isn't to get a partner, but to find someone you enjoy spending time around, who allows you to shine at your brightest and you them.

TLDR: Focus on self improvement, some resources, the art of living by epictetus, https://80000hours.org/career-guide/how-to-be-successful/.

Children
No Data