Learning to cope alone?

Hello all, 

I hope you're all well. 

I have a quick question, i am 31 and Autistic. I work, but struggle with the most basic tasks, that a friend or outsider would shake their head that i struggled with this. 

I struggle with basic tasks, cooking, taking medication, personal hygiene. My mum helps me to keep on top of things and truth be told, with out her, i would be screwed. 

My question is (this is me forward thinking): What do people do when their support system or support person either ends, runs out, dies etc and you are left alone to navigare the world alone. 

As we all know, we all love a good routine and i personally like to plan things, so what i am asking is, have people done things/put plans in place when still with family for when they're eventually on their own? 

Best, 

Parents
  • I'm hoping I'll be ok when my parents are no longer around. I try to be as independent as possible so I don't rely on people for anything.

My older brother had asd but he is dependent on my parents completely. He's 27 and my dad has to brush his teeth because he struggles with coordination. He's always grateful and he does try but he can't do things the way I can. 

I worry though because when my parents are gone one day he will be completely on his own and unable to cope. I don't know what will happen for him but he was sectioned a few years ago and I worry that's what his future is.

• I'm hoping I'll be ok when my parents are no longer around. I try to be as independent as possible so I don't rely on people for anything.

My older brother had asd but he is dependent on my parents completely. He's 27 and my dad has to brush his teeth because he struggles with coordination. He's always grateful and he does try but he can't do things the way I can. 

I worry though because when my parents are gone one day he will be completely on his own and unable to cope. I don't know what will happen for him but he was sectioned a few years ago and I worry that's what his future is.

Children
No Data