Creating an online autistic community- not NAS based

Hi neurokin! I have just been thinking about how we could create another virtual autistic community that is not NAS based and therefore entirely autistic led.

I know there are many other autistic communities online for example on Reddit, Facebook and Twitter but I am not sure these types of communities allow for the depths of discussions we have here.

I would like to keep some of the topics we have in this community but also include others. These could be: Dedicated interests, Autistic Joy, Self care, Work and Employment and any others that you would be interested in.

Who would be interested in this?

Does anyone know how to start building an online community platform?

Thank you!

Parents
  • I think it's a good idea and thank you for thinking of it.

has already done similar to this (link in his bio).

I probably wouldn't join in simply because one form of  'social media' (ie this forum) is enough for me.

I have been invited whilst here to more than one 'Discord' group but I have declined for the above reason.

I wish you well and hope that if it takes off you keep us updated.

• Hi Debbie

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I am aware that Peter has done similar but I want my vision of an online autistic community to be open and accepting of all autistic people especially including those who are multiply neurodivergent and non speaking autistics too!

From what I understand, Peter’s forum is only targeted to a certain group of autistic people.

I probably wouldn't join in simply because one form of  'social media' (ie this forum) is enough for me.

Yes I completely understand.

Thank you so much!

• I want my vision of an online autistic community to be open and accepting of all autistic people especially including those who are multiply neurodivergent and non speaking autistics too!

That's a fine aim.

My only proviso is that you won't ever get a group of people together who are open and accepting of everything you are, unless you hand pick them and have a 'closed circle' of friends.

Just look at the rows there have been on this forum over gender and sex (in particular) but other 'contentious' subjects too.

• My only proviso is that you won't ever get a group of people together who are open and accepting of everything you are, unless you hand pick them and have a 'closed circle' of friends.

Yes I understand that but within any community there will always be people who disagree with you and want to start arguments. That’s just part of being in a community and it allows us to learn from each other.

• This is one of the reasons I hope the new platform allows us to mute people.

Reply Children
No Data