Leaving comfort zone

As I'll be 19 soon I decided to leave my comfort zone and answer the door yesterday. We had a Tesco delivery and when the guy knocked the door I surprised everyone - including myself - and answered it.

Normally I'll try to plan everything in advance if possible. That way I can work out what I can say beforehand, if I find myself in a social situation. This time there was no time to prepare.

But turns out I didn't need to. The delivery guy was actually so miserable he didn't speak, he communicated through grunts and if looks could kill I would probably be dead today. Lol.

After being momentarily brave I felt like I could take on the world... And then the phone rang and I immediately got triggered by the loud ringing of the phone and ran upstairs to my room in a cold sweat as anxiety started to dig in its claws.

I'm still proud for dealing with the delivery guy though Sweat smile 

How often do you momentarily leave your comfort zone and it's it worth it?

I think it can be worth it sometimes but not every time.

• Well done Kitty this is a big achievement and you should be proud of yourself for doing it. Sometimes leaving your comfort zone can be fun and rewarding. Despite disliking change so much sometimes one small change, even if it's only for an hour, can be good.

• Well done kitty,

it took a lot for you to open the door and I am glad you could laugh at the miserable guy. Just proves that getting out of your comfort zone can be fun as well as challenging. I drove over to Suffolk last year which took it out of me and led to a meltdown but I dealt with it and had fun over a week. It has given me a lot of confidence and I hope to go again. Hope you have gained confidence.  

• Well done. I hate answering the door if it is unexpected.

When I get grocery deliveries I have no choice but to answer the door as I live alone. I would be hugely relieved if I encountered a delivery guy like the one that you got. When they try to attempt small talk and I'm trying to focus on getting the groceries in it's hugely distracting and annoying. I'm the one who is more likely to grunt in response and not speak at all.

It's possible that the delivery guy was autistic and not just a miserable sod. I think we all should consider that possibility when interacting with people who do not appear to follow the society social norms. The autistic community know better than most how unfair it is to be judged for not speaking, not smiling, not making eye contact, etc.

• That's really great to hear! Also I do sympathise with the Tesco delivery guy, honestly—I do sometimes communiate with grunts too.

I think I maybe leave my comfort zone when I have nothing to do, well, other than sit in front of the computer or play bass. I wonder if I may have seen enough movies to speak fairly coherently...

• I lot of places I visit, remind me of Dawn of the Dead. Blush

• I learned to be less 'social' and do my own thing; when out.

Even back in 2018, I felt like Belfast was turning into Dawn of the Dead.

• There's no comfort in the growth zone, and no growth in the comfort zone.

• Well done! I know that must have taken a lot

I try to leave my comfort zone a lot. sometimes i am really glad i did and sometimes it proves way too much for me

• I once heard a saying - "nothing grows in the comfort zone". Depending upon where I am in life I would wholeheartedly agree with this or say it's the most ridiculous statement ever.

There is some truth in it.

• I was recently able to make my dad see that he'd been too careful with me over the years. That I was capable of facing greater challenges, I'd just needed the support and encouragement to believe it in myself.

• I got out of my comfort zone quite a few times, while dealing with the negative critical voice of those telling me 'I don't anything bad happening you!'

Throughout my life, I had to deal with those paranoid over insurance claims, and people 'talking about you!'

• I've kept myself in a bubble for a very long time, but recently have been forcing myself to experience more of the world around me. Getting on a bus and going by myself to the local shopping centre has become a routine I try to keep to at least once a week. Used to be, being surrounded by people would make me terribly nervous. Now however, I've rediscovered myself to be a grumpy curmudgeon. Oh well, one thing at a time :^)

• leave my comfort zone and answer the door yesterday

Well done! It's all about little steps like this, over time it makes you better at dealing with situations. You condition your mind to cope with stressful situations and it does get easier.

How often do you momentarily leave your comfort zone and it's it worth it?

I did that last year, at 38 it seemed like time! I met some people to pursue new friendships and it really paid off well. One of them is local, the other I went to Birmingham and then Bognor Regis (!) for a meet and greet. Well worth it, despite the nerves.

Not overdoing it is key, I think, just things like that every now and again.

I'm going back to Birmingham in April to see these friends again, so it'll be much easier this time. This is how those bursts of bravery and bucking your routine pay off! 

• Well done.

I've been accused of being a creature of habit, visiting the same places following the same paths, so when I'm out I now intentionally go down streets I've never been before, just to break the habit.