Overwhelm, fatigue and acceptance

Today i just cant get my act together. Between walking my dog i am getting back into bed. I wouldnt say that i feel tired, but fatigued and a sense of overwhelm. In the past i would battle with this, but now knowing that i am autistic, i accept it and see it as a time for the need to rest. It feels a little like giving in, but i then realise it as a necessity to keep myself feeling just ok. I used to work full time. My ability has reduced. Do you think this is common for those of us over 50? I pick and plan my activities carefully in a wsy that i can manage, it seems essential to managing my life x

Parents
  • I am finding this post interesting. Since working out I was autistic during the pandemic and then reaching 60 I have realized how much my energy has reduced. I have very little left when I am not working. I only work 4 days and trying to manage the time with breaks, but my job is becoming more pressurized and some days wish retirement would come soon. 

I am also interested in the comments about light as I find a day with some sunshine is so much better and even more so if I get a walk in the sun.

• I am finding this post interesting. Since working out I was autistic during the pandemic and then reaching 60 I have realized how much my energy has reduced. I have very little left when I am not working. I only work 4 days and trying to manage the time with breaks, but my job is becoming more pressurized and some days wish retirement would come soon. 

I am also interested in the comments about light as I find a day with some sunshine is so much better and even more so if I get a walk in the sun.

Children
  • Do you think its the realisation/finding out that we are autistic that almost provides some relief, and do we then stop pushing ourselves so much? Its not a conscious choice of mine, but i seem to have just stopped pushing myself, like an acceptance thing. Maybe we are fraid a little by our mid fifties? We likely have had to work twice as hard to achieve what we have in comparison to someone who is not autistic. Also the phrases be kind to yourself, be gentle with yourself, maybe we taking more notice. All that battling has taken its toll? 

Everything I've read suggests that the best way to combat autistic burnout is to immerse ourselves in our special interests but this is something I let go of back in 2021 so I need to reintroduce

Thats helpful. 

Sometimes i dont know what im supposed to do, so i have just been muddling through. My life has lost structure, but does that really matter after 40 years of hard work? X

• Andrew Huberman’s podcast is brilliant for understanding the things that affect our sleep. This one’s a bit long but there’s a short chapter on light about 16 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/h2aWYjSA1Jc?feature=shared